- 2012 - present: PhD, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2005: Graduate Diploma in Strategic Foresight, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2000: Scenario Planning Certification, GBN Australia
- 1995: Master of Educational Administration (Honours), University of New England
- 1992: Graduate Diploma in Tertiary Education, University of New England
- 1977: Bachelor of Arts (History and Media Studies), Griffith University
2007-present: Thinking Futures
Founder, Strategic Foresight Practitioner and Researcher
2005-2007: Victoria University
2007: Strategy Analyst
2005-2007: General Manager, Quality, Information and Planning
1991-2005: Swinburne University of Technology
2004-2005: Director, External Submissions & Reports
2001-2004: Director, Foresight, Planning and Review
1999-2000: Director, Foresight and Planning
1997-1999: Manager, Planning and Resources, Higher Education Division
1994-1997: Manager, Policy and Planning, Division of Business, Humanities & Social Sciences
1991-1994: Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Business
1987-1990: Monash University
1990: Manager, Student Administration, Caulfield Campus
1987-1990 Student Administrative Services Officer, Chisholm Institute of Technology
1984-1986 Special Assistant to Executive Director, University YWCA, Berkeley, California
1981-1984 Student Records Officer, Footscray College of TAFE
1980-1981 Administrative Assistant, Academic Board Secretariat La Trobe University
1979-1980 Graduate Clerk, School of Humanities Griffith University
Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 2003-present.
Member, Editorial Board, On The Horizon, 2010-present.
Reviewer for refereed stream and co-editor of Conference Proceedings, Tertiary Education Management Conference, 2005- present.
Reviewer for Journal of Institutional Research, 2009-2010.
Honours and Awards
- Association of Professional Futurists Leadership Award 2015 for the initiation, development and oversight of the APF's first automated membership management system from 2011-2015.
- Emerald Literati Network Award for Excellence 2012: Highly Commended Paper 2012 for my paper Exploring the Implications, Challenges and Potential of New Media and Learning, On the Horizon, 19(4): 245-252.
- Emerald Literati Network Award for Excellence 2012: Outstanding Reviewer for On the Horizon. This is awarded for 'the very impressive and significant contribution you have made as a Reviewer to On the Horizon throughout 2011".
- Peter Karmel International Travel Fellowship, Association for Tertiary Education Management, 2007. This award is for research on "The Academic-Administrator Divide: Myth or Reality?" in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.
- Honorary Fellowship, Association for Tertiary Education Management, 1999.
- Inaugural Australasian Institute of Tertiary Education Administrators(AITEA) President's Award for achievement in educational administration and outstanding contribution to AITEA,1996.
- Faculty Medal for academic excellence in Educational Administration (Honours) program, University of New England,1995.
- AITEA NSW Prize for Best Thesis in Masters in Educational Administration (Honours) program,1995.
- Queensland State Government Secondary Scholarship for Years 11 and 12, 1973-74.
Professional Association Membership
Member, Association of Professional Futurists, 2007-present. Co-Chair 2011-2012. Board Member 2010-2013. Judge in the APF Student Recognition Program, 2009 to 2014. Coordinator for the Association's strategic planning process (2011-2013) and Membership Administrator (2011-2014 and 2016 to present).
Member, World Futures Studies Federation, 2006-2008, and 2011-2015.
Professional Member, World Future Society, 2006-2016.
Member, Strategic Planning Society, 2008-2012.
Honorary Fellow, Association for Tertiary Education Management. I held branch executive committee positions from 1987 to 1995 and from 1996 to 2000, I led a policy development group to develop policies and programs to professionalise ATEM's operations. I was elected Vice-President in 1997 and President in 2001 for a two year term. While President, I led the development of a Professional Development Framework for continuing education for members, a set of professional capabilities, and re-oriented ATEM to promote the profession rather than the Association. My ATEM Honorary Fellowship was awarded in 1999 in recognition of my contribution to ATEM and to the development of the profession. I was contracted to be ATEM's first Executive Director from 2008-2010.
Member, Joint Steering Group, Australian Universities Quality Forum, run by the Australian Universities Quality Agency, from 2001-2003, and 2006 to July 2007. I represented ATEM on this group.
Associate Member, Association of University Administrators, UK to 2010.
Member, Australasian Association for Institutional Research to 2007. Chaired the Steering Group for the 2005 AAIR Forum, held at Victoria University, Melbourne.